It’s really finally here, that wonderful time of year, Spring. I think it would have been a great idea to start the New Year with this season. It gives you more energy and good for you sunshine. I feel like cleaning, throwing unnecessary items away, taking more walks, exercising, baking and cooking. Wow, we could finally make some good resolutions and stick to them more easily than in the dead of Winter.
For my morning routine breakfast, I will eat OVERNIGHT OATS. There are a lot of different recipes for the Oat breakfast. One I am interested in using is what I will call ELVIS OVERNIGHT OATS. The recipe is below.
ELVIS OVERNIGHT OATS
1 Cup Oats (not instant)
1 Cup Vanilla Almond Milk
1/2 Tablespoon Chia Seeds
1/2 Cup Yogurt (I use Fage 0% Milk Fat)
2 Tablespoons Peanut Butter, divided
1 Banana sliced
1 Tablespoon Coconut Flakes
1 Tablespoon Mini Chocolate Chips
1. Mix oats, almond milk and chia seeds in a container, such as a pint jar. Put in fridge overnight.
2. In the morning, mix in the yogurt and 1/2 of the peanut butter.
3. Top the yogurt with the remaining peanut butter, coconut flakes, and mini chocolate chips.
While I was routing around in my little herb bottles, it occurred to me that I needed some larger glass jars with lids. I like these.
I read a lot about herbs and other healthy options for optimal health. It is fascinating to me. I even once worked for a herbalist who made and sold her own herbal medicinal recipes.
Here are some interesting tips that you can use for your own medicine cabinet:
1. For varicose veins, you can use horse chestnut herbal extract, which strengthens the veins and reduces swelling.
3. If you sniff Rosemary, you will feel more alert and remember more.
4. You should eat bitters to combat sugar, such as endive, radicchio, and cooked greens and olives.
5. For dry eyes, (a very big problem for me), you would do well to eat more fish, such as salmon, sardines, and mackerel, which contain omega 3 fatty acids.
6. For yeast infections, you could use Probiotics (which are beneficial bacteria normally present in the digestive tract. I also have found Juniper berries (from the health-food store)
amazing for this ailment.
7. Tulsi is great for a stress-boosting mood. You can try this in the tea or supplement form.
8. Chew fennel seeds for gas, 1/2 teaspoon after meals.
9. If you drink a cup of green tea about 10 minutes before you start exercising, you will increase your metabolism.
10. The Native Americans healers have an herbal cheer mix made of St. John’s Wort flowers, passion-flower, and devil’s club bark.
To try this, combine equal amounts of each herb in a glass jar, mix well, seal and make a tea when you are feeling low.
Put 1 tablespoon in a mug, add boiling water, cover, steep for 10 minutes and strain.
You could drink 2 cups a day. It has been noted that St. John’s Wort should not be used when you are in the sun.
What I’m Reading: